Saturday 8 March 2014

The electricity's a bit dodgy

Since I arrived 5 days ago the electricity current has been a bit low, they were running generators outside some people's houses for a couple of days to keep the refrigerators going.  Yesterday the power went off for most of the evening and overnight and blew out the pump which pumps water up to the header tank so I can have water in my taps.  The town water has had no pressure for over a week, apparently!

Just now there was a really loud buzz and a bright blue light outside whilst my lights flashed.  At first I thought it was fireworks, but it turned out to be a large street light, just outside the compound, overloading and showering sparks across the street.  Scary!

Fortunately the power is still on, and if it goes out I have torches, a gas stove and a bucket to re-fill the toilet cistern so I can still flush it.  All fun and games in my 1st weekend in PNG!

No comments:

Post a Comment